News! Schools Out
- Created: Tuesday, 01 August 2017 11:59
From pottery and woodland crafts to treasure hunts and detective work - theres a wide range of activities for children to get stuck into at some of our venues around the county this summer.
Families looking for a day out can head down to Derbyshire County Councils Countryside Centres.
There's lots to explore and do - with lots of fun tobe had for free or for less than £1.50 per childe, including:
- Go wild at Elvaston Castle - pick up a copy of the summer activity trail in the countryard shop, venture into the park and use all your senses to see what you can discover.
- Fresh air and fun at Shipley Country Park - there will ve a different self-led activity each week such as trail or treasure hunt.
- Heirtage and mini beasts at High Peak Junction on the Cromford Canal - follow a Heritage Trail Treasure Hunt or hunt and identify mini beasts.
- Capture the Chesterfield Canal - a photography competition for under 16's - themed on the Chesterfield Canal, organised by Tapton Lock Visitor Centre and free to enter. Closing date is 31 August 2017.
Middleton Top near Middleton by Wirksworth is a great place for kids to get out on a bike. Bikes are available to hire from our cycle centre nearby, including two electric assist bikes, or E bikes - which means the High Peak trail can now be enjoyed by people who otherwise find it too challenging. It is also offering a cycle repar and maintenance service.
There is more information about these events and all the other activities at countryside sites. You can also visit Derbyshire Countryside on Facebook.
Libraries across Derbyshire are on hand to help beat summer boredom too!
A range of activities are taking place across the county including making badges, creating disguises, songs and stories, making masks, animal crafts, cracking codes and learning how to be a secret agent. There are also activity trails, puzzle solving and rhyme times.
Lea Green - outdoor education centre set in 25 acres near Matlock which has plenty to keep the kids amused.
- A large range of activities and courses for schools, youth and community groups, families and provate businesses
- Adventure days for 5 - 12 year olds in the summer holidays are affordable, active alternative to childcare, children are welcome on their own or with friends to take part in a wide range of activities
- Activ-ability days are for children and young peolple with disabilties, learning difficulties and additional needs